The Light Entertainment at the End of the Tunnel. Ridin' that train... yes, that train...

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Mozilla: redesign or die!

OK, I've just had to kill my browser and email, destroying about 15 minutes of work-in-progress, because the piece-of-crap Flash plugin went into a forever() loop, which it does so very very often, and so I had to kill the whole mess off. This happens at least once a day on average. OK, now, Mozilla, meaning Firefox and Seamonkey and all that, I hate to be the one to break this to you but, basically, your code sucks, bless yer heart. I went into the Mozilla source years ago and it was the most godawful giant mess of C++ I'd ever seen. So many templates and overloaded crap and what have you that it was impossible to tell what would actually happen if you moved the mouse or anything, except that it would be a lot. Way too much. Maybe things have improved. I doubt it. OK, now, so along comes Google, and they say, "Why, this is really stupid. This mess should be compartmentalised into processes, so one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch." That's Philosophy, by the way. Descartes or someone said that first. OK, now stay with me here, folks. I know this is complicated, but basically it comes down to this: Mozilla, trash your whole basic design if necessary, but firewall them stinkin' plugins into separate processes, or maybe threads if that will suffice (but I doubt it) or you're toast. History. You can go hang around with Mosaic and Netscape and the other Ghosts of Browsers Past, because all your bases are belong to Google Chrome, which I plan on switching to just the very first minute that a pre-alpha starts working on Linux, OK? I mean, Google already knows everything about me even before I do anyway, so why mess with middlemen? It's just that simple, folks.

1 comment:

Cash Mundy said...

My first comment! If there was a Grand Prize, you would have won it... wait a minute, an extra $2000 or so of debt! I knew there was something! Of course everyone gets that, so it's not really all that special.

You're probably right about Chrome sucking. I tried it on XP, where everything sucks, so I didn't notice. Still, if it sucked but didn't crash routinely, that would be something. Why, if I was twenty years younger and one tenth as lazy, I'd try to write a browser that doesn't suck. If you ever hear of one, let me know and I'll try it out and complain about it too to be even-handed.

As for that Google Update thing: if Chrome ever runs on Linux, it shouldn't be too hard to go into the code and just cut that out. Someone will take care of it sooner or later. Maybe they'll even go thru the code and see where it sends the entire contents of your home directory to Google, which has to be in there somewhere.