The Light Entertainment at the End of the Tunnel. Ridin' that train... yes, that train...

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Liquidity Tsunami after Bond-Insurer Earthquake

Well,I reckon I can't say it any better than The Street:
If the bond insurers fail, that raises the specter of a massive wave of wealth destruction in a global financial system that is flooded with illiquid and opaque derivative securities of which there is little understanding, except that their value is connected to credit ratings on structured finance securities.
"This is going to be worse than anybody thinks," says Marta. "What I heard from Ambac [on Friday] is that they're throwing back the lifeline and saying, 'We're not going to make it.' On a fixed income trading floor, that means the world truly is upside down
And here I was, thinking holding QID and FXP was risky. Hell, it's probably a safer bet than the cash in my wallet.

No comments: