The Light Entertainment at the End of the Tunnel. Ridin' that train... yes, that train...

Friday, February 06, 2009

How to get RC33 on your G1 without the wait

How to get RC33 on your G1 without the wait

I didn't even need to use my USB cable. Downloaded it with the phone browser (went into /sdcard/downloads), then used Linda File Manager to rename it to update.zip and move it (via cut and paste) to /sdcard. I've already made it to the first reboot without any problems.

1) Go to https://android.clients.google.com/updates/signed-PLAT-RC33-from-RC30.f06aa9b3.zip with phone browser (just search for 'android 1.1 update) if you don't want to type in the link above.

2) Do rename and cut-and-paste as above.

3) Power phone down.

4) Reboot to recovery console by holding Home and Back and (meaning the white "house" key and the red "hangup" key) until you get past the initial G1 logo and the recovery icon comes up.

5) Type Alt (the Alt key), then l (letter "L", lowercase).

6) Type Alt, then s (letter "S", lowercase).

That's it. I'm now running Android 1.1. Now, in Settings/About-Phone, there is a System-Updates option, so I will probably never have to do this again. Cool.

Best thing is, I did this with no Sim card. I'm back to using my Nokia 6133 (which I hacked into a 6131 so I could use Gmail and the Opera browser (the software the 6133 comes with is Absolute Shit, and Nokia is Dead Meat if they keep their shitty software (I'm going to buy puts on them next time they run up at all) because my 6131 is better at being a phone than the G1, and I have no 3G anywhere near me at present. I use the G1 as a very small netbook. Don't need no stinkin' Sim card for that.

No comments: