The Light Entertainment at the End of the Tunnel. Ridin' that train... yes, that train...

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

On Fire

Humans made fire 790,000 years ago: study | Science | Reuters

Humans made fire 790,000 years ago: study

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:34am EDT

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - A new study shows that humans had the ability
to make fire nearly 790,000 years ago, a skill that helped them migrate
from Africa to Europe.

  Some decades ago, I had a personal relationship with Fire perhaps akin to that some claim to have with Jesus. This was not the result of premeditation or volition: the organisation of my consciousness moved from its normal mental-egoic intellectual configuration to one dominated mostly by some combination of Jung's Intuitive, Feeling and Sensing functions. During this period I spent a great deal of time in the mountains and along rivers and so forth, and often felt moved to build and gaze a fire. I had experiences involving the Salamander and many others in general conforming to mystical traditions I had a complete lack of exposure to. It was as a result of these experiences that I read a great deal of Jung and eventual found my way to Michael Washburn, whose "Ego and the Dynamic Ground" provided a very satisfying intellectual framework enabling me to try to sort of get my mind around what I had wandered into.

  This was all some decades ago, and these days I am thinking much more about Money in the broad sense than anything mystical, but I never either explained or dismissed that most intense period of my life.

  Reading that human fire-making goes back about 800 thousand years, it struck me that that should be long enough for evolutionary processes to have created a biological basis for the archetypes related to Fire. Subjectively, constellation of an archetype is perceived as contact with something not only independently existent, but more real than reality itself, so to speak. I remain agnostic on the question of whether for example there is a God, elemental spirits, the Old Ones and the Other Side, or whether experiences of these things are just externalisations of basic human psychic hardware developed during millions of years of evolution.

  And now back to Money. While I remain agnostic about the reality of the King of the Salamanders (the damn things are like cats: each one will give you to understand it is the King of them all, the One True Salamander [and I will note that the Old Testament God Jehovah is to me nothing more than a Fire Being with delusions of grandeur: a jealous, passionate angry and above all hungry being]), my opinion of the today's Big Bounce is that I will be shopping for put options tomorrow.

No comments:

Blog Archive